Why should I read them?
A. Acceptance of Terms
The rest of the TOU is broken into a number of different sections:
B. PenPal World's Obligations to You
C. Your Obligations to PenPal World
D. Security and Member Privacy
E. Member Account Registration
F. Member Conduct
G. PenPal World's Proprietary Rights
H. Disclaimer of Warranties
I. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
K. Modification and Termination of the Service
L. Modification to the TOU
M. TOU Violations
N. Entire Agreement
O. Governing Law
Subject to the TOU, PenPal World will:
- Inform you of any changes to the TOU from time to time. See Modification to the TOU.
- Remind you of aspects of 'Your Obligation to PenPal World' at appropriate times during your use of the Service.
- Treat your personal information in a responsible manner. See Security and Member Privacy.
- Supply the Service using operating procedures designed to ensure the Service's security and System availability.
- Answer any queries you have regarding the TOU, Service and the operation of your account.
- You will accept liability for some events which may occur. See Indemnification.
- You will read, acquaint yourself fully and comply with all aspects of the TOU. If there are any aspects which you do not fully understand you will seek clarification from PenPal World.
- You are aged 13 or over. Or your parent or guardian gives consent to use the service.
- You will at all times use the Service in good faith and in a responsible manner.
- You will not allow anyone other than yourself and PenPal World to access your account.
- You will use the Service solely for your own benefit and shall not sell, lease, assign, lend, hire or gift any part of the Service in whole or in part to any other person without PenPal World's prior written approval.
- You will use the Service only for lawful purposes and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of or restrict or inhibit the use of the Service by any Member and/or PenPal World.
- Comply with all terms of Members Conduct and Member Account Registration of the TOU.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account. Furthermore, you are responsible for any and all Member accessible activities that occur under your account. You agree to notify PenPal World immediately on becoming aware of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
PenPal World has put in place security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information collected. Our web servers are locked in cages in a highly secure internet data centre. A 'firewall' (an internet security device) sits between the PenPal World website and the internet to help prevent any unauthorized user from accessing any data.
PenPal World understands and respects your rights of privacy. It is because of this philosophy that subject to the exclusions below, your personal details provided to PenPal World will not be sold or otherwise distributed to third parties.
PenPal World reserves the right at all times to monitor, review, retain, and/or disclose in good faith any information it believes in good faith that such action or disclosure is necessary to conform to legal and government requirements, or to protect and defend the rights or property of PenPal World or enforce the TOU.
PenPal World reserves the right to collect and distribute non-personal demographic information to third parties. As such this information would not contain any information that would allow your identity to be deduced.
To register as a PenPal World Member, you agree to:
- Provide us with current, complete and accurate information about yourself (the registration data);
- Maintain and promptly update the registration data to keep it current, complete and accurate at all times;
- To represent only yourself on the Service, and no other persons, living, dead, or imagined.
- If you provide any information that is not current, or is incomplete or inaccurate, or PenPal World has reasonable grounds to believe that such information is not current, or is incomplete or inaccurate, PenPal World has the right to suspend or terminate your membership, and refuse any and all current or future use of the Service.
Under no circumstances does PenPal World have any obligations under the Agreement to check the accuracy or truthfulness of the registration data of any Member. PenPal World also deserves the right to cancel, delete and/or block any accounts at its sole discretion.
As a condition of your use of the Service, you guarantee to PenPal World that you will not use the Service for any purpose that is unlawful and / or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices.
You agree to abide by all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations and are solely responsible for all acts or omissions that occur under your account made by you including the content of your transmissions through the Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree NOT to:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Publish, distribute and/ or disseminate any harmful, obscene, indecent, unlawful, libellous, profane, defamatory, infringing, inappropriate, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material or information.
- Create a false or misleading identity of, including, but not limited to, a PenPal World employee, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, for the purpose of misleading others as to the identity of the sender or the origin of a message or to harvest or otherwise collect information about others.
- Transmit, e-mail or post any material that contains in any form software viruses or such programs as including but not limited to, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel-bots, computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service, through password mining or any other means.
- Disseminate content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, rights of privacy or publicity, or other proprietary right ('Rights') of any party or infringes any intellectual property law or any other applicable law.
- Disseminate any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters', 'pyramid schemes', or any other form of such solicitation.
- Interfere with another member's use and enjoyment of the Service.
- Without prejudice to the Security and Member Privacy of the TOU, PenPal World has no obligation to monitor the Service or any member's use thereof.
You acknowledge and agree that the PenPal World content including but not limited to (1) text, (2) software, (3) photographs, (4) graphics, (5) page layout (6) design presented through and as part of the Service by PenPal World is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, or other proprietary rights and laws.
Such content received through the Service may be displayed, reformatted, and printed by you for your personal, non-commercial use only and at all times used solely in connection with the Service in accordance with the TOU.
Certain of the names, logos, and other materials displayed on the PenPal World web site constitute trademarks, copyright and other intellectual property collectively referred to as 'IP rights' of penpalworld.com. Ownership of such IP rights remains with PenPal World. You are authorised to use such IP rights during the process of promoting and using the PenPal World service hosted by the Service.
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk.
- The Service is provided on an 'as is' and 'as available' basis and the warranties on the part of PenPal World contained in this TOU are given in place of and replace, exclude and extinguish all and every other condition or warranty whatsoever on the part of PenPal World, written or oral, whether express or implied by statute, regulation, directive or any other legislative or administrative enactment, common law, trade usage, custom or otherwise to the full extent permitted by law.
- The information and content included in or available through the Service may include inaccuracies or typographical errors.
- Changes are periodically added to the information contained with the Service and PenPal World and/or its respective suppliers may make improvements and/or changes in the Service at any time.
- No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from PenPal World or through the Service shall create any warranty not expressly stated in the TOU.
Except as otherwise expressly provided in the TOU, PenPal World does NOT represent or warrant that:
- The Service will meet your requirements.
- The Service will be uninterrupted or error-free, timely or secure.
- Defects or errors will be corrected, or that the Service or the server that makes it available, are free of viruses or other harmful components.
- The use of or the results of the use of the Service or the content made available as part of the Service will be correct, accurate, timely, or otherwise reliable.
- The content of the Service input by other members is correct or accurate.
- YOU AGREE THAT PenPal World SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR:
- PROVIDED THAT PenPal World HAS FULFILLED ITS SECURITY OBLIGATIONS, UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA, ANY MATERIAL OR DATA SENT OR RECEIVED OR NOT SENT OR RECEIVED, OR ANY TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH THE SERVICE.
- ANY THREATENING, DEFAMATORY, OBSCENE, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONTENT, SAVE THAT PenPal World SHALL BE ENTITLED TO REMOVE IT IN ALL PRACTICABLE SPEED AFTER PenPal World HAS BEEN NOTIFIED IN WRITING OF ITS PRESENCE ON THE SITE.
- CONDUCT OF ANY OTHER MEMBER OR ANY INFRINGEMENT OF ANOTHER'S RIGHTS, INCLUDING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.
- ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION:
- DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF USE;
- DATA GOODWILL;
- PROFITS, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES;
- ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH:
- USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE OR RELATED WEBSITES;
- DELAY OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE OR RELATED WEBSITES;
- PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SERVICES, INFORMATION OR SOFTWARE;
- SERVICES OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE, OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE SERVICE;
- DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION;
- COMPUTER VIRUS;
- COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE;
- DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS;
- WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE - EVEN IF PenPal World OR ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES.
- IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SERVICE OR ANY PART OF THE SERVICE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SERVICE AND ITS RELATED WEBSITE.
- AT ALL TIMES AND IN ANY EVENT THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF PenPal World TO ITS MEMBERS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE TOTAL ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE PAID BY THE INDIVIDUAL MEMBER TO PenPal World.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless PenPal World, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers and employees from any claim, demand, or damage, including reasonable legal fees, asserted by any third party due to or arising out of your use of or conduct on the Service.
You agree that PenPal World, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, account or use of the Service, and remove and discard any content within the Service, for any reason, including without limitation, if PenPal World believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOU.
PenPal World may also, in its sole discretion and at any time, discontinue temporarily or permanently providing the Service, or any part thereof, with or without notice. You agree that any termination of access to the Service under any provision of the TOU may be effected without notice, and acknowledge and agree that PenPal World may immediately deactivate or delete your account and all related information and files in your account and/or bar any further access to such files or the Service UNLESS agreed in writing with PenPal World. Nevertheless, where possible, PenPal World will use reasonable endeavours to give Members fair notice of termination or suspension of their access to the Service.
Further you agree that PenPal World shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination or suspension of access to the Service or modification of the Service.
PenPal World reserves the right to change the TOU or policies regarding the use of the Service at any time. In this event you might be sent an e-mail detailing the changes. Upon your next logon to the Service you will be asked to indicate your acceptance of the new TOU, acceptance of which is required to allow your continued use of the Service.
PenPal World reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that PenPal World shall not be liable to you or any third party for any modification to or discontinuance of the Service.
Please report any violations of the TOU to Customer Support via the support page.
These TOU constitute the entire agreement between PenPal World and the Member and supersede any previous agreement or understanding between PenPal World and the Member.
The court of jurisdiction is located in Los Angeles, California, USA. As such, the laws of the City of Los Angeles, California, USA will govern these disclaimers, terms and conditions, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws.
This document was last modified on February 2, 2012